“In recent months, the movement to improve Columbia students’ quality of life has gained traction, in part due to the work of the Student Wellness Project.”
– Columbia Daily Spectator, 1/23/2012
“I am going to do everything I can to ensure that we make wellness a priority”.
– Columbia College Dean James J. Valentini, “Supporting Student Wellness”, 3/8/2012
Hi, and welcome to the website of the Columbia University Student Wellness Project, an officially recognized student group.
Who are we?
To put it simply, we’re a group of regular students at a stressful school who dream of building a campus community where students don’t just have to pretend like they’re ‘fine’, but can talk about what it means to be well. We accomplish this through events, initiatives, political advocacy, art, and dialogue. For a sample of our previous accomplishments, check out the list of what we did in our first six months as a student group.
You can also check out these highlights from our numerous appearances in campus media.
What are our goals for this year?
Now in our second year, we remain committed as ever to sustaining the dialogue about student wellness, especially as the new members of the Class of 2016 enter our campus. Here are some of our top goals:
- Continue developing innovative and meaningful events that can continue to make a positive impact on our campus community.
- Strengthen the alliance of wellness-related student groups.
- Make wellness resources more accessible to all students.
- Develop an agenda to push for concrete policy changes that will benefit student well-being.
- Continue the effort to create student spaces where peers can support each other and engage in meaningful, honest discussion about wellness issues at Columbia.
- Foster the expression of artistic and literary voices on campus that can help us carry on the conversation about wellness.
How can I get involved?
Just show up! There’s no commitment required. We’re a low-key and low-stress club.
Our meetings are every Sunday at 12 PM in Lerner 505 (the SGO room on the 5th floor). The first general body meeting is this Sunday, September 16th. (FB event)
We’re looking for all types of help, from event planning to policy writing to peer-to-peer mentoring to graphic design to blogging. If you are interested in joining, take a few moments to fill out this form so that we have a sense of what you’re interested in.